BC Recovery Benefit
What is it? The BC Recovery Benefit is a one-time, tax-free direct deposit payment up to
– $1,000 for eligible families and single parents
– $500 for eligible individuals.
When? Online applications open December 18, 2020. Support will be available by phone starting December 21. You can apply until June 30, 2021.
The amount you’re eligible for will be automatically calculated based on your income when you apply.
Who is eligible? You are eligible if you…
- were living in British Columbia on December 18, 2020
- are at least 19 years old on December 18, 2020
- filed a 2019 Canadian personal income tax return
- have a valid social insurance number, individual tax number or temporary tax number
There may be specific eligibility criteria for other people.
If you receive a payment and the government later finds that you’re not eligible for it, you will have to repay it.
People who arrived in Canada in 2020… If you became resident in Canada for tax purposes during 2020, you can still apply for the benefit. You will have to include your income from everywhere you worked for 2019. You will need to
- convert all amounts into Canadian dollars using the Bank of Canada exchange rate (use the rate in effect when you received the income)
- provide documentation to prove you received the income
What do you need to apply? Before you apply, make sure you have the following documents and information:
- Net income (your income after tax and other deductions) from your 2019 tax return. This is Line 23600 of your 2019 income tax return.
- Social insurance number
- Driver’s licence number or BCID number
- Your bank information for direct deposits: the benefit will only be paid by direct deposit
You can find more information on the BC Provincial government website.