Recognition of Foreign Credentials

Recognition of foreign credentials is one of the main difficulties faced by newcomers to Canada.   Some credentials obtained outside of Canada may not be recognized as equivalent to Canadian credentials.  This is particularly true in regulated occupations where health and safety are important.

Getting professional and educational credentials recognized in Canada can take time. Organizations that assess foreign credentials include: credential assessment agencieseducational institutions, and regulatory bodies.

The Foreign Credentials Referral Office (FCRO) is part of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It provides information, path-finding and referral services on foreign credential recognition to help internationally trained workers succeed and put their skills to work in Canada more quickly.  Check their website at:

For help and guidance about checking if your qualifications are recognized in Canada, see: Working in Canada – Foreign qualifications

Starting in May 2013, Federal Skilled Worker Program applicants must have their non-Canadian education credentials assessed by a designated organization before coming to Canada.
Find out how to apply for an educational credential assessment (ECA).

British Columbia Institute of Technology offers an international credential evaluation service.  See their website:

World Education Services – Canada is a non-profit organization that provides research about international education and trends and offers expert credential evaluation services.  Please see

If you have any questions about assessing your foreign credentials, contact a Settlement Worker for further assistance.