All drivers in British Columbia must have a valid (legal) driver’s licence. If you are a new B.C. resident, and have a valid driver’s licence from your country or from another province of Canada, you can drive in B.C. for 90 days.
You must apply for a B.C. licence within 90 days. If you hold an International Driving Permit, you must also carry the accompanying foreign licence.
If you have a licence from the following countries you may not need to take the knowledge or road test. You can apply for a B.C. licence right away. If your driver’s licence is from anywhere else, you will need to take a knowledge and road test.
- Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey
- New Zealand
- South Korea (not motorcycles)
- Taiwan (not motorcycles)
- United Kingdom (includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
- United States (includes Washington DC and Puerto Rico)
- another Canadian province
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) driver licensing offices have free books you can study for the knowledge test (English only). Knowledge tests are available in Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Croatian, English, Farsi (Persian), French, Punjabi, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese and Vietnamese. If you have never had a driver’s licence before, you will have to go through B.C.’s Graduated Licensing Program.
If you are getting a new BC licence, or are renewing your licence, you will now have a combined single card for both your BC driver’s licence and BC Medical Services Plan health card. For more information, please see: BC Drivers Licence and Services Card
At WelcomeBC – licence you will find full details on:
- BC Driver’s Licence
- Applying for a Driver’s Licence
- Knowledge test
- Graduated Licensing Program
- Road test
- Registration and Insurance
Use these links for extra information on
- Information on requirements for driving license applications
- Driving License practice questions in English
- Information on Autoplan insurance
- Graduated licensing in BC
You must not drive a car without insurance. For more information on car insurance read our Insurance page.