Government financial help extra to EI and CERB

There are now other benefits and financial help available from the federal and provincial governments. These benefits are extra to EI or CERB payments. Some of the benefits are for people not receiving EI or CERB. Some benefits are only for people receiving CERB or EI.

Here is a summary of the benefits and what we know so far:

Canada Child Benefit (CBB): will be received in May. No action is needed if you already receive the benefit.

* If you are eligible you will receive $300 increase per child with regular May CCB payment.

* If you have previously applied for the CCB, you do not need to re-apply.

* For more information on the Canada Child Benefit  

You can check the amount you are eligible for using the benefits calculator.

GST/HST Credit Increase

This will be calculated  automatically based on your 2018 tax submission. If you did not qualify before, but filed taxes for 2018, you may be eligible for a one off payment. If you did not file taxes in 2018, you will not receive this benefit. This is a one time increased payment and it will be received automatically in April.

This benefit is for low income individuals and families. If you receive it, the average increase will be approx. $400 for single people and $600 for couples.

GST/HST Credits are based on the following:

B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers  

This will be a one-time $1000 payment to B.C. residents who have lost income due to COVID-19.  Available in MAY and you must have applied for EI or CERB. Information on eligibility to come

Climate Action Tax Credit(BCCATC)

In July 2020, moderate to low-income families will receive a one-time top up to their climate action tax credit. Adults will receive up to $218 (up from $43.50) and children will receive $64 (up from $12.75). CRA will assess eligibility after you file your 2019 taxes, and pay automatically.

Renters and landlords

* For anybody living in a BC Housing unit, evictions have been temporarily suspended for non-payment of rent in subsidized and affordable housing units.

* No annual rent increases or new notices to end tenancy are allowed for any reason during the state of emergency.

* The BC government will provide up to $300 per household wih no dependants and $500 per month per houshold with dependants. You apply through BC Housing

If you are eligible do the following: 

Income & Disability Assistance

MSP coverage expanded