Welcome Centre job opportunity..
Help us reach out to newcomers and immigrants in Whistler to grow awareness of settlement services and programs, and deliver activities to build social support and networks.
October 2020: We’re looking for a Multicultural Outreach Worker to focus on building awareness of Welcome Centre settlement services and programs and on delivering programs and activities to support local newcomers and immigrants in building social support networks and leadership skills.
Currently focusing on doing this via remote and online channels, especially social media, the Multicultural Outreach Worker plans and facilitates social and networking events, training, workshops, and meetings to support needs identified in our immigrant communities. This position also keeps immigrants and newcomers updated with opportunities for volunteering and networking to build social capital within immigrant groups and the wider community.
- Diploma in a related human / social service field.
- One year recent related experience.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) and preferably at least one other language
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to be a self -starter and take initiative
- Knowledge of the Whistler community and the services/resources available
- Connection to, and knowledge of, one or more immigrant cultural or ethnic group in Whistler
- Energy, enthusiasm and a passion for helping people
- Ability to leverage tools and resources in a creative way
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness/knowledge/experience of the immigration process
- Experience with community or social support work preferred
- Good computer skills; outlook, excel, word, and especially social media
This position is part-time (currently 21 hours/week), temporary (maternity leave position) starting November 1, 2020 until October 22, 2021 or until position holder returns. Starting wage is $20.52 per hour.
Whistler Welcome Centre is a collaboration of Capilano University, Whistler Public Library and Sea to Sky Community Services.
Apply for this position today with resume and cover letter to Sea to Sky Community Services: